Sunday, August 26, 2012

North African Chicken Legs

 Inspired by watching The Food Network the other day, I decided to experiment with North African flavors. I'm always up for the challenge of trying out different cultures' cuisines and experimenting with new flavor combinations. This chicken combines warm spices like cumin with sweet spices like cinnamon, the heat of red pepper flakes with the sweetness of brown sugar and fresh mint leaves. Using the same old spices time after time can get boring. I like to spice things up (literally) in the kitchen and make new favorites and traditions.
INGREDIENTS:
-chicken legs
-2 garlic cloves
-1 onion, yellow or white
- cinnamon, cumin, red pepper flakes, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, ginger powder
-fresh mint leaves, green onions, cilantro
-multi-colored sweet peppers (I used about 4 small ones.)
-diced tomatoes (I used 1 7.76 oz. can for 12 chicken legs) including juice from can or from fresh tomatoes
- red wine (white would work too)
- olive oil

In a large pan, heat about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add in the chopped garlic and onions. Let simmer on low to medium heat for a few minutes. Then add in the tomatoes, peppers and all spices. As I don't measure each one out, just sprinkle a generous amount of each. If you need specific breakdowns, send me an e-mail, and I'd be glad to help. Add about 1/2 cup of the wine. Stir all together, creating your sauce. Then place the chicken legs in and stir around to coat all the legs with the sauce. Cover and let cook on medium. Meanwhile, chop up your fresh herbs on the side. Let chicken brown on medium for about 10 minutes, then turn the heat down to low and let slow-cook for another 10 or so, until the inside is white. Throw on the fresh herbs toward the end. 

Serve over rice or quinoa (as standard couscous is not gluten-free) :) Enjoy! I know I did...

No comments: