Sunday, February 19, 2012

Polish Kielbasa and Sauer Kraut

   Being 1/4 Polish, I grew up eating this meal on occasion on some holidays and even a regular weeknight here and there. I've always liked it a lot and, as I want to carry on traditions from my background, will continue making this on my own and for my future family.

INGREDIENTS:

fresh (not smoked, pre-packaged) Polish sausage (kielbasa), found in your grocery store's meat department in the pork section (not all stores will carry it. If you're in Florida, Publix usually has it.)

sauer kraut (I get one bag per package of kielbasa), also usually found in the meat department near the pork section

1 onion, white or yellow, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
olive oil
black pepper 

In a collander in the sink, put the sauer kraut to let drain.


In a large frying pan, add in a layer of olive oil. Heat on a medium temperature. Add in the chopped onions and garlic. Let simmer. Add in the drained sauer kraut. Add more olive oil if needed. Stir all around to coat the sauer kraut with oil and let cook.

In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Meanwhile, chop the kielbasa into 3-5 inch pieces. Add them to the boiling water until cooked throughout. Then add them to the frying pan. Sprinkle with black pepper.


Let the kielbasa and sauer kraut cook until browned. Serve and enjoy.

No comments: